Tooth decay is something that you should avoid at all costs. Whenever your teeth begin rotting, the structure of your teeth gets destroyed and can have adverse effects on the enamel and dentin layers of your teeth.
Particular foods containing starch, sugar and carbs can rapidly cause tooth decay if left on the teeth for long periods of time. Any bacteria that's in the mouth may turn these foods into destructive acids. Plaque is then formed following the acid created by bacteria, food debris, and your saliva. Plaque is difficult to completely remove if left unattended for too long and will cling to teeth.
The acid in plaque may cause holes, aka cavities, and will gradually dissolve the enamel of your tooth. Use the following tips to prevent tooth decay in Westlake Village.
- Always brush your teeth two times a day, minimum. Toothpaste with fluoride is best. Brushing first thing in the morning, following a meal, and before the bed is preferred to decrease the risk of tooth decay.
- Floss everyday with dental floss or interdental products.
- Utilize a daily mouth wash with fluoride to rinse away stuck food contaminants. These can assist in preventing plaque formation.
- Avoid snacking during the day and eat a well-balanced meal. Candy, chips and carbohydrates ought to be avoided if possible. In the event that you do consume them, just try to brush your teeth shortly after.
- Ask your Westlake Village dentist for suggestions if you are concerned at all with your dental health.
- You can shield your molars from tooth decay by making use of dental sealants, but you will want to consult with your dentist first.
- Always schedule periodic dental visits and have regular cleaning and examinations performed to address any possible problems before they become serious.
As of right now, there's research being done to assist further prevention of tooth decay. There's already been a report done that found gum containing the sweetener xylitol greatly slows the growth of bacteria. Researchers are exploring various components that provide a slow release of fluoride, which could be placed in fissures between teeth, or directly in the pits of the teeth. Last but not least, scientists are also learning more about toothpastes and mouthwashes that could help reverse tooth decay, and even heal the early onset of cavities. The bottom line is that tooth decay can always be prevented with proper dental care. Visit you Westlake Village Dentist and get your smile checked out and taken care of today!